- Bidders must have an account before transacting on the platform.
- A minimum registration fee of USD 200.00 must be paid before bidding
The platform has two (2) types of selling points: – The Buy Now option or Bid Option.
Buy Now Option
- Domains from the reserved Premium names will be sold under this category without bids
- Buyers will buy domains at USD 100.00
- The buying price is inclusive of registration price and is payable immediately.
- The amount will be paid directly to Afripay Account, and later transferred to KeNIC.
- After payment, the client will be advised to choose their preferred KeNIC Accredited Registrar from the list of Registrars provided on the platform.
The domain will then be transferred to the Registrar who will provide additional services like webhosting etc.
- Domains will be sold on a first come first serve basis.
- The Registry will set a minimum bidding price for platinum domains at USD 3,500 and Gold Domain at USD 1,200.
- The bidding price is different from the domain Registration price, after winning a bid, the winner will then select a Registrar and pay the normal SLD Registration Price of USD 25.00 .
The winner will be notified via email and must pay for the domain within 7 working days after the Auction is closed. Failure to which, the domain will be awarded to the second highest bidder who also must pay within 7 working days.
Winners must show proof that they have initiated the payment process within 72 hours of being declared winners.
Top up prices will be set at USD 50.00 above the set minimum bidding price.
Bidders can reach KeNIC support team on + 254 715 27 54 83 or email on email@example.com
The currency to be used during the auction is Kenya Shillings or US dollars.
Status of the domains on the auction platform
- Active when the domain is being auctioned.
Unpaid when the domain has been sold but still waiting for the payment to be done.
Waiting the 2nd highest bidder response when the winner of the auction did not pay the domain within the 7 working days given to make the payment after the auction closed.
Unsold when none of the winners made the payment, then the domain can be listed again for another given auction in the future.
Sold when the winner has paid the for the domain and the domain will be marked sold.
.KE DOMAIN AUCTION RULES AND REGULATIONS
KENIC would like to maintain a safe, fair, and enjoyable marketplace for bidders.
If you are a bidder, we ask that you review and understand our policies,
including the KeNIC User Agreement before you bid on or buy a domain.
- You will not be able to access the KeNIC Auction portal if your account contains false contact information. You must provide accurate & up to date contacts.
In order to bid, you are required to pay a refundable registration fee of USD 200. This will be payable through MPESA (for local users) or Afripay (for international users).
The bidding price is different from the domain Registration price, after winning a bid, the winner will choose a Registrar and pay the cost for domain registration and other services offered by Registrars.
If you are the highest bidder, the refundable registration deposit will form part of the amount paid for the domain.
If you place bids for multiple domains, only one winning bid will be inclusive of the minimum registration fee of USD 200. The other winning bids will be paid in full amount.
A client cannot use the minimum registration fee to purchase domains from the BUY NOW option. The minimum registration fee is only for acquisition of domains in the Gold and Platinum clusters.
Bidders will be informed about their winning bid after the auction closes.
If you have won the bid, please note that the amount won for the domain must be paid directly to KeNIC by the bidder. Once payment has been made to KeNIC, the bidder must now select a registrar of his choice to facilitate transfer of the domain name.
You will only be able pay for and have your domain within 7 working days after the auction date has been closed.
Upon winning a bid, you are required to commit to paying for the domain, and make payment within 7 working days.
Failure to pay for a bid will result in it being awarded to the next highest bidder.
Be careful about bidding on several domains if you only want one. If you're the winning bidder of more than one domain name, you need to purchase all the domains you've won.
All won domains will be registered and released to the client after the auction phase is closed.
In case you do not win a bid, the refundable registration deposit will be refunded back to you. For unsuccessful bidders, the refund of the registration fee will be less the bank transfer charges.
The minimum registration fee will be refunded to all unsuccessful bidders within 7 working days once the auction date has been closed.
This fee for the BUY NOW OPTION only caters for domain acquisition and registration, other services offered by registrars will not be covered by this fee and will be billed as per the agreement between a Registrar and Registrant.
You can only bid if you really intend to buy the domain. Please don't place a bid unless you mean to buy it.
If the winner is unable to pay for the domain within 7 working days, the USD 200 deposit shall be forfeited and the slot offered to the next highest bidder provided the bid is above the reserve price.
SLD AUCTION BIDDING AND BUY NOW PROCESS